For the Cake:
- 384 g (3 c) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 227 g (1 c) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 500 g (2.5 c) granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 vanilla bean pod
- 175 g (1/2 can) sweet potato puree, fresh or canned
- 175 g (1/2 can) crushed pineapple, with juice
For the Vanilla Simple Syrup:
- 84 g (1/3 c) water
- 67 g (1/3 c) granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Pineapple Glaze:
- 240 g (2 c) confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3–4 tbsp pineapple juice (strained from remaining crushed pineapple)
- Preheat oven to a true 325°F. An oven thermometer is essential for this step. Many ovens run quite hot or cold, and it’s impossible to know unless you have an oven thermometer to gauge the true temperature in your oven!
- Sift the all-purpose flour, kosher salt, cinnamon, ginger, and baking soda into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the butter only until it is very smooth. Add the sugar and cream the butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy. (Not sure how to cream butter and sugar? Check out this post!) Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary. Don’t shortcut this step! It’s essential to great baked goods!
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing each egg until it is fully incorporated before adding the next egg.
- Carefully split the vanilla bean pod lengthwise and scrape out the vanilla seeds. Add them to the batter and mix thoroughly.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix until nearly combined.
- Add all of the sweet potato puree and crushed pineapple and mix until nearly combined.
- Add the second half of the flour mixture and mix until nearly combined.
- Finish the batter by giving several turns with a stiff spatula, until you have a cohesive batter. Make sure to thoroughly scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl during this step.
- Prep a 10- or 12-cup bundt pan and add the batter to the pan. Bake for 65-75 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer reads 212°F in the center.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to remain in the pan for ten minutes. While the cake is in the pan, make the simple syrup.
- To make the simple syrup: Add water, granulated sugar, and salt to a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Turn off once all of the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the pure vanilla extract.
- Invert the cake on a cooling rack and brush immediately with simple syrup. Allow to cool completely before adding the glaze.
- To make the glaze: add confectioner’s sugar, fine sea salt, pure vanilla extract, and 3 tbsp of pineapple juice to a medium bowl. Still with a whisk until all of the confectioner’s sugar is moistened. If necessary, add the rest of the pineapple juice in 1/2 tbsp increments. The final glaze should have the consistency of thick honey.
- Using a spouted measuring cup, squeeze bottle, or spoon, place glaze atop your completely cooled cake.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes (active)
- Cook Time: 65-75 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American