- 1 dry pint of grape or cherry tomatoes, cleaned and dried
- 1.5 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4–1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 425°F. An oven thermometer is helpful to ensure that you get to the correct temperature.
- Cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place tomatoes onto the baking sheet. Pour oil evenly over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Bake in 425°F oven for 11-16 minutes, depending on desired level of caramelization.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for ten minutes.
- Smash tomatoes with a fork for a chunky tomato sauce, or pulse in a blender or food processor for a more smooth sauce.
- Use immediately. A little goes a long way with this sauce, so spread it as thinly as possible. Too much sauce will prevent the bottom of the pizza crust from cooking fully.
- I use avocado oil for this recipe, but any high-heat oil will do.
- The recipe, as written, is fairly spicy. Feel free to reduce or omit the crushed red pepper to cut the spice.
- This sauce should be spread very thin on a pizza dough. Too much sauce will prevent the bottom crust from browning.
- Use immediately.